Hyderabad, 1st April : Andhra Pradesh not only stands first alphabetically, but also stands first in money circulation in the eve of elections. Everyday, the police is seizing large amounts from political activists while they were carrying money with them to various centres. On Wednesday, more than One Crore Rupees were seized by police at various places in the State. Police caught the money by raiding vehicles, and even RTC buses. Mostly, it is Congress leaders who were carrying unaccounted money in their vehicles. No need to mention that the money is intended to bribe the voters. In a recent survey of Central Statistical Organisation(an independent organisation) it was revealed that Andhra Pradesh is one of the top 2 States in distributing money during elections. Major political parties have made it true by transporting crores of money, liquor from one place to another within the State. On one hand, State Election Commission is exploring innovative ways to reduce money flow during elections. It has deputed State Intelligence and Vigilance departments to have a close watch on this issue. The severity of this practise can be guaged from Director General of Police instructions to his officers not to leave even a helicopter unchecked.
In a Police raid, the officials have seized 90 Lakh Rupees at Eethakota Check Post in East Godavari District. When police interrogated the carriers of money, some of them claimed that the money belongs to S. V. Construction Company while the rest absconded. Likewise, in Khammam and Nalgonda Districts, police seized a great amont of money, crackers, liquor and campaigning material. It has become a prestigious issue for the political parties to ensure a sure win in elections at any cost .
On Tuesday, Police seized Rs.1.27 crores: The following are such incidents.
- In Palvancha, Rs. 5 Lakhs valued crackers were seized.
- While checking on the State Highway, Police found Rs. 7.12 Lakhs with P. Srinivas Reddy working in Kodada Lakshmi Srinivas Paraboiled Mill. He told that the money is income from sale of Rice in Hyderabad. But, He did not provide any evidence to that effect.
- At West Godavari and Khammam Districts Border Police Check Posts, Rs. 15 Lakhs found in an Ambassador Car. The convicts taken into custody said that they were to buy Tobacco from Charlavenkatapuram in Bhadrachalam Division.
- Police caught a Tata Sumo vehicle with Rs. 3 Lakhs near Arsapally in Nizamabad District. While police tried to interrogate the convicts, they absconded.
- At Kollapur in MahabubNagar District, public representatives of ruling party trying to transfer Rs.1.85 Lakhs in two different vehicles were caught. In interrogation, drivers told that the money belongs to J. Krishna Rao, sitting MLA of Congress.
- Police seized Rs. 10 Lakhs valued crackers from a Godown in Secunderabad. The convicts were taken into custody by the police.
- Three lorries with Liquor were seized at Ballary Junction in Kurnool.
- At Chegunta X Road in Medak District, Rs. 2.50 Lakhs were seized while transporting the money in a car.
- Rs. 7.46 Lakhs were seized at Pendurthy Junction in Vizag.
- Rs. 6.50 Lakhs were seized in an Ambassidor car on its way to Kothavalasa from Anakapalli. No proof was found about the ownership of money.
- 576 Liquor bottles were seized in a Congress Leader’s residence in Visakhapatnam.